Traveling for any amount of time with children requires careful thought in packing to avoid not having enough space, needing to check more luggage or having luggage that is overpacked, wrinkled and just a hassle to manage!
My family and I enjoy traveling – mostly road trips. And, while we don’t have to worry about exceeding the luggage weight requirements at the airport, we also don’t want to have a lot to manage when we are loading and unloading at multiple stops.
Today, I’m sharing three tips that have helped us in our travels:
1. Each member of our family has one space for their clothes. This usually means three roller suitcases for our family of five. We each have one half of the suitcase for our clothes and the extra side of the suitcase holds everyone’s toiletries. Everyone knows where their items are and where they need to be placed when it is time to pack up!
2. Packing clothing that can be worn frequently and mixed and matched to create several outfits. For instance, clothes in neutral colors for everyone! Not only can multiple outfits be created from coordinating colors, they also can all be washed together if our trip requires laundry be done.
Since a lot of our trips include hiking, we all have wool long sleeved shirts – which are comfortable in a variety of climates – and usually layer them over a short sleeved tee-shirt. Pants that are comfortable for travel and double equally well for hiking and other outdoor activities are also a must!
3. We are mostly a screen free family for road trips. Part of the fun is seeing all of the scenery, right?! Each of my children has a backpack for any non-clothing items they wish to bring along. Some favorite items include:
- Colored Pencils and Sketch Book
- A Small Stuffed Animal
- Small Games such as a pack of Uno cards or Travel Battleship
To find out more about our travels, visit www.simple-family-lifestyle.com or follow along on Instagram at @simplefamilylifestyle.